By Rumana Zahn
250g/9oz yellow split peas, rinsed well
1 litre/1¾ pints water
1 tsp ground turmic powder
1 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp ground coriander powder
3 tblsp vegetable oil or ghee
1 tblsp cumin seeds
1 small onion chopped
3-4 whole green chillies.
A piece fresh ginger peeled and cut into thin strips
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tsp garam masala
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Handful chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Place the lentils, water and spices (turmeric, paprika and coriander powder) into a pan, stir well and bring to the boil. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to simmer for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are just tender. Add more water if needed.
- When the lentils are cooked, remove the pan from the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil or ghee in a pan over a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and fry for 20-30 seconds.
- Add the onion, chillies, ginger and garlic and fry until golden-brown.
- Add to the cooked lentils and stir well.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and season to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir in the chopped coriander and garam masala just before serving.
- Serve with warm rice or naan bread.
- Make extra then freeze some to use for another day.
- With any extras you can dry the mixture (heat until reduced) cool and then make into a lentil cakes. Flatten into small round burger cover in a little whisked egg and fry lightly in olive oil. Serve with a salad or use as a lentil burger.