By Rumana Zahn
5 mugs of water
2 slices of dried or fresh Galangal
2 tablespoons dried or 1 stick or fresh Lemongrass
4 dried or fresh Lime Leaves
1 tblsp Lime juice
1 tblsp Tamari
1 tblsp Thai Fish Sauce
3 cloves chopped garlic
1cm piece of chopped ginger
4 squashed small red chilli’s
Vegetables – you can use a selection of vegetables here is a mixture:
A little red cabbage or 2 chopped leaves Chinese leaf
Chicken or prawns (Optional)
Chinese noodles (rice, wheat or buckwheat noodles)
1 cup chopped fresh coriander
- Use a deep pan and make the stock. Place the water in the pan and add in the stock ingredients. Simmer for 10 mins.
- You can use a muslin or sieve to hold the dried herbs so that they can be removed after simmering or just strain the liquid and remove solids.
- Cook the noodles in boiling water. Check timing so that they coincide with the vegetable cooking.
- Add the base ingredients and vegetables into the stock and simmer for about 5 mins.
- Just before serving add the fresh coriander.
- Serve the noodles first into a deep noodle bowl. Then add the vegetables and liquid on top of the noodles.
- If using chicken then add the chicken and base ingredients to the stock and simmer for 15mins or until cooked. Then add in the vegetables and simmer for a further 5mins.
- If using prawns cook as above adding the (cooked) prawns 2 mins before serving.